Recipe & picture courtesy of Family Circle
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Bake: 20 minutes
- 3 large summer squash, about 2 pounds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounce) Italian flavored diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-fat Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Heat oven to 400°F. Cut squash on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices. Season with 1/4 teapoon each garlic salt and pepper. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray and place squash slices on pans. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Season tomato slices with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each garlic salt and pepper. Spoon 1/3 of the diced tomatoes into the bottom of a large nonstick skillet. Layer half the squash, half the tomato slices, 1/3 of the diced tomatoes and half the cheese. Repeat layering. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and simmmer for 25 minutes over low heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta following package directions.
**Personal Review: This came out “OK” – I let it all simmer longer than 25 because I wanted more tender tomatoes. It was missing something though – I haven’t figured out what it is yet.**