Recipe & picture courtesy of Kraft Foods
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 2 hr 15 min
Makes: 8 servings, 1-1/4 cups each
- 3/4 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
- 2 lb. beef for stew, such as chuck roast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, chopped
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 1-1/2 lb. potatoes, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) beef broth
- Pour dressing over beef in shallow glass dish. Refrigerate 30 min. to marinate. Meanwhile, cook bacon in large saucepan on medium heat 5 min. or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from saucepan; discard drippings. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Add mushrooms and onions to saucepan; cook on medium-high heat 10 min., stirring occasionally. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Add beef, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, broth and bacon to saucepan; stir.
- Bring to boil, stirring occasionally; cover. Simmer on low heat 1 hour 30 min. or until meat is done and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally and removing the lid for the last 15 min..
How to Prepare Stew in Slow Cooker
- Marinate beef and cook bacon, onions and mushrooms as directed. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Add beef, onions, mushrooms and remaining ingredients to slow cooker.
- Cook 10 to 12 hours on LOW (or 5 to 6 hours on HIGH). Stir in 2 Tbsp. flour mixed with 2 Tbsp. water. Cook 15 min. or until sauce is thickened.
**Personal Review: This had very little flavor – I would highly reccomend marinating the beef for more than 30 minutes to give the beef a bit more flavor. We also ended up adding Franks Red Hot Sauce, garlic powder and salt & pepper to give it a bit more flavor. I did this in the slow cooker as well on low heat. We threw the leftovers into the fridge for the next day and it tasted great. This was much better as a leftover than first taste.**