Recipe & picture courtesy of Rachael Ray
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 6 min
- One 1 1/2-pound flank steak
- Salt and pepper
- 3 jarred roasted bell peppers
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Soak 4 wooden skewers in water. Preheat a grill to medium. Lay the steak flat on a work surface and season with salt and pepper. Split the roasted peppers and lay flat on the meat, leaving a 1-inch border at both short ends. Layer the basil and mozzarella on top; season with salt and pepper. Roll up the steak, beginning with a short end, and secure with the skewers, pushed all the way through and evenly spaced apart. Cut the roll crosswise, between the skewers, into 4 equal pinwheels. Lay each one flat.
- Drizzle the cut sides of each pinwheel with the olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, covered, turning once, for about 6 minutes.
**Personal Review: Ok – this was next to impossible to roll up, it was very entertaining to watch several different people try. I would recommend using a meat mallet to flatten it, making it easier to roll or to slice the steak in half lenghtwise. We ended up just cooking the steak on the grill and then putting everything else on top of it and broiling it until the cheese melted. It tasted great though!**