Recipe & picture courtesy of Bon Appétit
Prep: 30 minutes
Total: 30 minutes
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom, divided
- 4 3/4-inch-thick slices egg bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 firm but ripe unpeeled red Anjou or Bartlett pears, halved, cored, cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom to blend in 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Add bread slices; let stand until egg mixture is absorbed, turning bread slices occasionally with spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears; sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Transfer pears to plate. Add 2 tablespoons butter to skillet; stir to melt. Add pomegranate juice, sugar, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon cardamom; simmer until liquid is slightly thickened and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove sauce from heat.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter on griddle or in another large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bread slices and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Cut French toast slices diagonally in half; divide among plates. Top with pear slices, spoon sauce over, and serve.
**Personal Review: No Review Yet**