Recipe & picture courtesy of Rachael Ray
Prep 10 min
Cook 20 min
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- One 12-ounce bottle amber beer, such as Dos Equis
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 3 1/2 cups)
- Croutons, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the carrots and leeks, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the beer and mustard and bring the soup to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, whisking, until creamy and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Whisk in the cheese 1 handful at a time until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with the croutons.
**Personal Review: No Review Yet**